Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Cucalorus: My Experience

Being my first ever film festival I attended,  the 22nd Cucalorus Film Festival was full of a variety of, not only films, but filmmakers and enthusiasts that gathered together for a few days and celebrate cinema.  First and foremost, I do not regret one bit about being there in person.  It truly inspired me to become more skillful in my craft.  Also, the variety of films were astonishing.  Many were shown in the venues all across Downtown Wilmington, from short films that are just a hair under a minute in length to full two hour feature films.  It was great to see that most of the showings included a Questions + Answers panel to allow the public ask questions to the creators of the films.
Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the first three days, which led to me missing some great screenings and events (really was a bummer), but the weekend had a lot to offer.  On Saturday morning, I arrived to Thalian Hall to view the Dance Short Film segment.  This was probably my favorite of the festival, myself being very keen on the editing and choreography.  Plus, it might be a little biased to say that as I am currently working on a music video as I write this.  Either way, the short films were something that really kept me up with interest.  Later that day, I would go CFCC to watch the comedic short films, and boy were they great.  From political satire, to dark comedy, to just plain randomness, watching such films are always a treat with a massive group of people.  Immediately afterward, I would attend the  convulsions short films screening.  I was actually looking forward to this segment the most, thinking as so how messed up these films can be.  Unfortunately, I might have hyped myself a little too much, but it was still very enjoyable.
The following Sunday, I went to go see two feature films, Delinquent and The Levelling, the Secret Screening.  Both were dark films that were very real and filled with emotional struggle.  The drama was great and I can't wait to see the films being distributed if they do.  Overall, Cucalorus will now be something I will attend as much as I possibly can.  Hopefully I will be able to get a spot to volunteer!

No comments:

Post a Comment