Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Sound Observation: Part I



This observation is more about capturing and describing the essence of sound in an area.  For this experiment, I sat completely still, closed my eyes, and attempted to “see” with only my ears for a few minutes.  The location I chose was my apartment living room.  Within the few minutes, I was able to concentrate fully on the acoustics of the room.  Where I sat, being on the far side of a fairly empty room, sound really struck me as there was refrain coming from certain sounds.  For example, the air conditioning unit turned on and filled the entire room with long waves of sound as the fans turned within the walls.  I could also here my roommate softly conversing with his girlfriend on the phone (not creepy at all) though it was extremely quiet.  Overall, the silence is what really interested me because you could barely hear the rain sprinkling outside the apartment, as well as other ambient noises that I will discuss on part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment